html

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Q: HOW SHOULD GRIEF FEEL? A: HOWEVER IT DOES


It's been a tough run for the past few days.  
For every person who has said a prayer, reached out to offer their kind words
I want to make sure that I say thank you.
This is the one time where thoughts and prayers have actually 
been all that I want from anyone.
And for the most part,
I want to know that you're saying them or having
them about me but I've got enough of my own
thoughts and prayers running around the inside of my head
that I can't really process someone else's.
So for all of you who wished me and mine well,
here's a heart felt thank you from me.

As ya'll know, I work extra hard to bring 
bullshit into the light and I can't breathe
when I'm drowning in fake narratives.
The only path to sobreity (emotional, physical, chemical)
I have found is that I constantly work to recognize
 the thing we can't talk about
and then talk about it until I feel satisfied that it won't easily
slink back into the slimy darkness and fester.
I am a lot of fun at parties if that's not clear already.

One of the things I've been repeatedly reminded of this week
is how important it can be for well-intentioned, loving people
to tell someone who is grieving how that person should or will feel.

Here are some snippets from the past few weeks

Oh my gosh.  You must feel terrible.
That's just awful.  You have got to be so upset.
I can't imagine what you're going through-it's a nightmare.

I have learned to just say thank you to basically every single
thing that people want to hand me right now in regards
to my brother's death and let it roll off.
I know that everyone means well
and I try to receive the words in the spirit that they are meant.
It's been tough though.

In the interest of calling out the things that
are shame-filled I need to spend just a sec on this topic.
We are allowed to feel all the feelings.
We don't need to control them
or segregate them into good or bad feelings.


The amount and variety and depth of the feelings that I have about my brother
cannot possibly be limited to just the fearful or sad ones.
I feel rage, longing, futility, frustration, overwhelm, exhaustion,
impotence, resentment, shame, ...the list is long.
Since my brother was in a relationship with addiction his entire life
I have been carrying all of these complex feelings about him
for many many years-multiple decades.
When I learned about his death, I experienced some new ones
that I hadn't felt in years in relation to him.
Relief.
Acceptance.
And I was able to pull out some of the softer ones that haven't been
particularly useful over the past few years of his life.
Tenderness.
Sadness.

I tried to tell a few people about these other emotions-
the ones that aren't socially acceptable in the face of death.
And I was SHUT DOWN HARD.
Apparently, I'm not supposed to feel those things
or if I do, I'm supposed to keep them to myself.
There's a collective narrative that we're all supposed 
to have in the face of death
particularly violent death and me speaking out about it
wasn't part of the script.

I think this is particularly important to understand
if you have addicts or sober people in your family or friends.
I haven't wanted to drink in years now
but every time someone told me how to feel, I remembered 
how nice it was to take a sip instead of 
arguing with people who don't see me.
I'm glad to recognize the pull to numb away when there isn't space
but I also keep thinking about my brother and the times when I 
was well-intentioned but couldn't hold space
for his reality, his feelings, his struggles.
It's a kind of violence that is socially acceptable
to negate how someone is feeling
or to take their truth and forcefully replace it 
with one that feels more palatable.

Grief has no script.
It is different for every person and is 
often layered and multi-faceted and 
in many ways, grief is a living organism
that is untameable.

So, I thought I'd just pop in to say-
you are allowed to feel how you feel.
It's all good.
It's all allowed and needs to be welcomed.
There's no reason to judge your own emotions
or those of anyone else.
There's no reason to run away from them
and it's futile to try and hide them because they'll 
just turn up again when you least expect them.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I hear you…

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Even when you've grieved someone prior, the finality changes it. Feel all the feelings in your own time & in your own way. I'll be thinking of you, your family, and Andy in my morning meditation & prayers.