html

Monday, September 26, 2022

SCHEDULE SITUATION (FREEDOM FEARS)



Almost a year ago, I was discussing my intention 
to leave my employer with my therapist during a session.
She asked me what I was planning to do in the weeks 
immediately following my end date.  
I told her I thought I'd get a job at a local garden center and just spend some time watering plants and soaking in the sun.
She gently reminded me of some things that I'd already told her 
regarding this upcoming change.
I didn't really need the money, I had saved enough to take a 
break for a good long time without much risk financially.
I already work in several gardens around town including my own yard 
so I had access to plants, sun, and water without the garden center.
I was burnt out and exhausted, physically and mentally drained in a way
that made it hard to recognize myself anymore.
What was my reason for rushing to put myself on a timeline again?
What was behind my desire to be once again tied to someone else's schedule?


Therapists are very annoying which is why they are so valuable.
Like usual, my therapist had managed to hone in on exactly the thing that I wasn't willing or able to see inside my own little head.
Quitting my job was fine.
Not having a plan for the future was fine.
Spending time focused on myself was fine.
Exercise and eating right and trying to figure out how to sleep again was fine.
A wide open calendar free of expectation was NOT FINE.
Not even a little tiny bit.


Blank Google Calendar
Space that does not need filling



Like, I started to sweat when I thought about how open ended
and available my time would be for the forseeable future.
It wasn't just anxiety or a mild form of unease.
It teetered on the edge of panic; sweaty palms, racing heart
preparing for the worst possible kind of threat.
What the hell right?
Who feels terrible because they have free time?
<clears throat>
Apparently me.


It took me a couple of days to get still and focused 
enough to understand what was happening.
This was obviously a trigger. I've had a lot of experience
exploring those and figuring out what to do with them
so I know how to dig in when they start popping off.
Ultimately I determined that I was scared that 
no one was expecting me to show up somewhere.
If I didn't have an appointment outside of my house
then no one would be aware that something was off with me.

I've said this before but since it's one of the central themes
of my character development, you'll get to hear it at least a few more times.
My over-acheivement and performance habits were developed
as a response to the abusive system of my family of origin.
I was smart, driven and capable because I was rewarded to be that.
It was how I found love and acceptance
AND
it was how I got away from my abusers.
There were two ways to get out of the house when I was young.
Work and school.
Both highly schedule driven.
Both tightly commitment bound.
I spent as many hours at school as I was allowed
and then when I was almost 14, I started working in restaurants.
That was very young to start working
but I would have fought you tooth and nail if you tried to make me stop.
Work was freedom, safety and access.  
Hillary McBride will walk you home.


If I was scheduled to be at school or work, then someone was expecting me.
If I showed up at either of those places visibly unwell,
then there would be consequences and questions.
I was never safe in the confines of my house.
I was never free or able to trust the motivations of those around me.
Life was unpredictable there and I did everything I could do to get out.
My life got much better once I started working and
by the time I was sixteen I was working full time while going to school.
The money I made meant I had access to things like food,
clothing and opportunities that I wouldn't have had without my own income.
I was very successful at this kind of multi-tasking.
My life depended on it (and so did a few other people's)
so even my abusers encouraged that outlet.
So I learned to stack my schedule with as many 'outside of the house'
things as I could possibly fit into a day.
A full schedule meant freedom and safety to teenage me.


There are a lot of things about the human maturation 
process that feel real dumb once you have a little experience with them.
I'm starting to think the definition of a mid-life crisis is refusing to deal
with your childhood wiring in an effective way.
 Those that learn to parent themselves, come out ok in their fifties.
Those that can't learn to parent themselves, 
look like a citrus fruit wearing a bad tupee.
#sorrynotsorry #roevemberiscoming

I've had to do quite a bit of rewiring this wrongly plumbed idea.
A packed schedule did actually mean freedom and safety for me
for about a decade of my life.
However, it doesn't mean that anymore and hasn't meant it 
for about two decades now.
I've created a life of safety and security.
I don't need to run away from home anymore.
I made myself safe finally.
Finally.
But my body didn't know that and 
was having a hard time accepting it.
When we need our body to accept things, we often
have to actually DO them so the body can experience the opposite
reaction and get used to it as a positive experience.
Remember, your body also has to learn to tolerate things that are 
good for you just like you've made it tolerate things that are bad for you.
You can get used to anything.
Even the good things.
Rupi Kaur's book Home Body is gorgeous.

I now have more than six months of experience with a fairly 
open-ended schedule and thankfully, 
it's starting to feel more natural and less scary.
Along with this new perspective on freedom, I've come to 
understand something fundamental that I didn't before.
I need time to take care of myself.
(did you just say duh?  I promise I'm smart in some ways.)
It takes about three hours a day for me to make sure that I am healthy.
Three hours!!!  
Does that seem like a lot to you?
It feels like a LOT to me.
Like who can take a whole three hours away from
all the other needs of the world to take care of themselves?
Except....it does take at least that long.
Sometimes it takes even 
more if I am tryin to thrive 
instead of live my life
like I'm in a combat zone.
I'm working on owning that care as my rightful inheritance
as a beloved child of the Creator because the world 
FOR SURE will not reinforce that for me.
I'm getting there, one long walk and one good night of rest at a time.

View from last week's mid-week grocery walk-10 miles and 25 pounds of groceries are a really good way to spend some workout time.


So what is on my professional schedule for the last few
 months of my year of #quitting?
Thanks for asking.
I've got some things going on that are different
than I would have ever expected six months ago
but I'm really excited about them.
I'll be finishing up my book draft by the end of October and
then I'll move into editing, book proposal drafting, etc.
I am taking on several coaching clients and have space for a couple more.
 I think I'm going to try and get a job at a coffee shop 
because I fricking love spending time in them.
I have three other ideas for books including another memoir
and an urban fantasy set in my home state.
I'd like to try and get some short stories published
and get a sense of that industry.
I've got a lot of hiking goals too.  I'm not going to miss
the upclose view to the seasons changing ever again.
Icy cold, sweltering heat, pouring rain, gentle breezes all
remind me I'm alive in a way I'm unwilling to give up.
Just a few things right?
My schedule has space to stretch now
and I can only recognize it as freedom.
Finally.








No comments: