html

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

DRY-ROASTED SPICED OKRA


I know...I know.
You don't like okra.
It's too slimy.
It's just weird.
It's old fashioned.
You only like it fried and that's because you can't taste it.
Or you've had it twice and both times left you neutral.
I have heard all these things many times.
There was a time 
where I also thought okra was gross too.
I was like you-
lost and confused, misinformed about this wonderful
delicious vegetable.

On the off-chance that I've misjudged you and 
you are one of the people who have already seen the light,
who understand that okra is a precious gift
then this recipe will just make your world more wonderful.
A new way to enjoy an manna from heaven.
Forgive my assumptions-it's hard being an evangelist without a church.

If you are in the okra hating club-this is an intervention.
I know it's hard to be wrong.
But, you are wrong.
Receive the good news!
Change is possible...but first you have to risk something.


Okra is a summertime staple and one of the few things 
(along with eggplant, and peppers) 
that keeps on giving when the heat kicks up.
A few years ago, I realized it would be super
hard to eat local-ish through the summer without
at least a tolerance of okra.
Did you know that you have to try something 12 times before
you know if you like it?
Twelve times.
Whew.  That can be a lot of tries.
It took me more like 30 to find something besides fried
that could hold my attention.
I did the work for you and
found a one-try recipe-
the easiest, best, go-to recipe
for highlighting okra is this one!
It's a conversion recipe.
Try it.  You'll like it.

This recipe is Whole30 compliant, paleo, vegetarian, vegan and in 
general available to be eaten by everyone.  
Your doctor practically prescribes this recipe as medicine.

Ingredients:

20 fresh okra pods 
If they are larger than 2" long, slice them in half longways
3 TBSP Spice mix*



*Spice Mix Ingredients

You can use whatever spices you like.  Just remember to use a lot of them.  
I used in equal measurements (about 1/2 tsp each):
paprika
coriander

cumin
fennel seed
garlic powder
celery seed
tumeric
chipolte powder
kosher salt





How to Cook:

Preheat oven to 450 F
Line a cookie sheet with parchement paper.
Put okra on cookie sheet
Sprinkle spice mix generously over okra
Roast in the oven for 20-25 min or until the okra has wilted a little bit.
Eat with your fingers.

Special note:  This is even better on a grill.
Cooks faster, crisps better.
If you're grilling meat, consider putting a slab of 
tinfoil together for this okra.


There is no after photo.
We ate them.




1 comment:

Robin Merrell said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've been looking for something to do with okra.