html

Thursday, March 23, 2023

UNBOUND (REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE)




sometimes it helps me to remember that my father is just a boy
who got stuck behind a shield of silver cans 
afraid to to push past the smoke 
in case someone mistook his desire 
for comfort 
with his absolute terror 
of the fickleness of joy

sometimes it helps me to remember that my mother is just a girl
crinkled eyes and dimples, 
haloed with golden curls
embodied desire born wedged between generations 
unable to give her the foundation of delight
that would set her free from depravity

sometimes it helps me to remember that my grandaddy was just a boy
barefoot and wild in the frozen camp of his forefathers
his mother knit him a coat of pride and championship
because she had no other resources 
to keep him warm and fed
assuming his tender-hearted generosity 
would survive the wrapping

sometimes it helps me to remember my great-aunt was a mother
her grief at her own mother's passing
inseminating her with motherless children
 washed ashore at the foot 
of her enchanted hill 
until adolescence 
ransomed their innocence 
to the tide of maturity

sometimes it helps me to remember my brother was alive
slipping fearlessly through the rails 
to stand on the edge
laughing in the faces of our old people
marching barefoot through the yellow jackets
to savor the grounded fruit
before educating all of us 
on the consequences of shame 
with his long goodbye

sometimes it helps me to remember that I am unbound
a gentle aggregation of cells and magic
currently enjoying a sabbatical 
from the vastness of the Universe
until I'm called back to dissolution
 by the urgency of the stars

Art by my talented daughter @lilbean_lad on instagram


No comments: