html

Monday, November 12, 2012

HI TECH MARKET PREP



It's amazing how advanced most of the farmers we connect with are 
in regards to technology and marketing.  
Almost every farmer has an email distribution list that they send 
out weekly to let you know what they'll have and their price list.  
Why would you want to do that? 

Here's a few reasons to get on a farmer's tech side:
You can make a list and stick to it-just like in a modern grocery store
You can set a budget
You'll have time to research the produce or cuts of meat that you don't know
You'll know which markets a farmer is going to visit
You can find other ways to get local produce besides a farmer's market
You will often get interesting stories about life on the farm and seasonal changes
You will often get recipe links and ideas for produce that is in season now
SUBSCRIBE TO THEIR FEED!
I currently follow about 5 individual farmer's lists.  
I've only subscribed to the farms that I use most consistently 
and/or who's operations I've visited.  
That keeps my focus where it's important for me-
helping my friends and eating with the seasons.  

But they are all so different and interesting.  
My friend Esta Cohen just lists what's in stock.  
The email might have a few blurbs about what's going on 
but for a full update on farm life, you need to TALK to Esta 
(you really should, she's got the brightest blue eyes and a grin that's contagious).  

My friend Beth from Wild Onion Farms will give you a little glimpse into 
what's coming down the bend and then tell you just how easy it is 
to get all her great treats.  S
he ends with a link to a recipe.  

My family farmers at Edible Earthscapes often put their info on Facebook
 I get daily bits of love an inspiriation from them-
and I also get to know when the edamame is in!

FARMER'S MARKET WEBSITES 
The farmer's markets usually have Facebook pages and websites
 where the market manager will post goings-on.  
This weekend, the Western Wake Farmer's Market had live 
music and face painting.  
f you look closely you'll also notice the ring of yellow icing 
from The Sweet T fabulous flavor du jour around my little one's mouth. 


My kids have gone from protesting loudly about visiting the market to jumping out in all kinds of weather.  
Most of the smaller markets offer some kind of draw-whether it's local 
hand-crafts, entertainment, samples or a holiday centered themes. 

If nothing else, you'll have a great time OUTSIDE for an hour or so 
and you can feel smug.  
Farmer's markets know what everyone else is realizing-
we crave community and they want to connect!








No comments: